Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Necessity of Driving

I'm 19 years old and don't have a driver's license.

That's right I said it.

Think about it though, if I chose to stay in NYC my entire life, I wouldn't need a car, nor need to know how to operate one. Public transportation is so ubiquitous and handy that driving anywhere in the city just doesn't make sense. Armed with my unlimited monthly Metrocard, I would go places.

This winter break though, I will learn to drive, get my license, but again, it'll probably go unused in my wallet, a simple state ID that everyone needs to have (which my learner's permit does fine). Why do we really all need to drive everywhere? I don't figure I'll be doing much driving till perhaps next fall semester when I'll debate having a car on campus.

- Kenneth

No comments:

Post a Comment