Sunday, October 25, 2009

THE TALLEST MOUNTAIN

So, yesterday me and my roommate were sitting in our room trying to do our homework (even though it was a little distructive)... I was doing some SketchUp stuff but I hated how it turned out so I don't think it's worth posting until I come up with something tolerably presentable..
While surveying the internet I got some links to trivias one of which asked the following question: "What is world's tallest mountain?" I laughed at the stupidity of the question, because since my third grade I've known that the highest mountain peak on Earth is mount Everest, also known as Chomolungma (with the hight of 8848meters above the sea level). And imagine my reaction when the screen gives me: "Your answer is incorrect!" I almost fell of my chair and asked my roommate of what she thought about this issue. She said they are insane and she was also taught that Everest is the highest mountain on our planet... So according to the trivia the tallest mountain is Mauna Kea in Hawaii with the height of 10,203 meters. I was in shock until I read the next sentence. 10,203 meters from its base on the floor of the Pacific Ocean! so it's just 4,207 meters above the sea level- so, well, it doesn't really satisfy the criteria of how the mountains are usually measured:) and Everest is the tallest anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment