Monday, September 28, 2009

More Reach = More Problems

In preparation of the upcoming weekend, as we all know to be Homecoming which I've been eagerly anticipating since... well the end of the last Stony Brook football home game, I set off in search of more reach.
To be more clear, photographers refer to reach as simply a longer lens or just more focal length. camera lenses are expensive however, and the longer the glass, the more expensive these lenses tend to get. As I'm not currently paid for my work as a sports photographer/photojournalist, I could hardly justify spending another $1800 or so for a used example of what my ideal lens would be: the Sigma 120-300m f2.8. Taking advantage of the great glass I've already invested in, I recently purchased a used Kenko 1.4 teleconverter for this purpose.
I attached the 1.4x t-con to my 70-200 today for the first time, and I have to admit that I'm surprised. So far, the AF continues to be snappy, perhaps not quite as sprightly as it used to be, but still very impressive. What I'm surprised about isn't so much with the lens. I'm surprised with the way that the additional reach that the t-con gives me emphasises my need to develop better long-lens technique. First of all, dealing with nigh-on 450mm demands more stability. I'm definitely going to have to work on technique. For the first time in a long time, I think that my equipment is showing me the deficiencies in my own techniques and style. Hopefully, a bit of practice and work will remedy the situation as we head into an exciting year of SBU sports!

- Kenneth

No comments:

Post a Comment