Monday, September 28, 2009

Race Pace

Saturday morning I ran the Continental Airlines 5th Avenue Mile. This is a race that basically stretches down 5th ave, from 80th street on the east side down to 60th street. Hand-timed, I ran the race in 4:48, a personal best by quite a margin, and incredibly surprising as I've done no training whatsoever that would directly correlate with this improvement. As some may know, I ran a half-marathon the weekend before this one, and I had simply been packing on mileage day after day. In the short week I had between races, the main goal of mine was to allow my legs to recover, as my left calf had suffered something, and to learn pacing again. I ran twice last week, and was going to be ecstatic to break the 5-minute barrier for the mile. Needless to say, when I stopped the clock at 4:48.61, I was excited. I ran the race on a combination of 200 calories worth of Craisins and 3 hours of sleep because I had worked the previous night. Overall? Great success. Now I think I'll give myself a day or two to really let my legs simmer down, and give them some well-deserved rest.

- Kenneth

No comments:

Post a Comment